Sunday, November 4, 2012

The bathroom book...

I admit it: I keep a book in the bathroom.

Most people either understand this concept or are grossed out by it. How can the former group explain this to the latter? We can try, but I suspect it won't ever make much difference:) But here goes...

To start, I don't bring library books or books I intend to share with others into the bathroom. I find old ratty books that no one will care if they are recycled when I am done. They are often books that I bought for 10 cents at book sales, but never quite got around to reading.

It can often take a year to get through one book, since I'm only reading a few pages at a time. That means I look for a book I'm having trouble getting into because there are so many other books I'd rather be reading. One was a 1950's text book on the Romantic Movement. The current one is a 1960's book about post-Civil War Reconstruction. These are topics that I am vaguely interested in (or I wouldn't have acquired the book) but not so interesting that I have to read the books NOW!

(On an unrelated note, it is weird reading these old books that have such large margins, large fonts, and just so much white space! It makes me realize how printing and paper issues have changed over the decades.)

Now, why would someone want to read in the bathroom? I can't answer for everyone, but I suspect that for me it stems from growing up in a large family. The bathroom was the only place anyone MIGHT get a few minutes of privacy. Finding ways to extend that privacy by a few minutes more was important. Now it is just habit.

The next question is logistics. There are a few ways to reduce or eliminate the ick-factor. First off, the book has to be within reach of the toilet, but not right next to it or on it. Next, I only touch the book with "clean hands"; I put the book back before my hands become "dirty". It is acceptable to spray the book with disinfectant if the need arises (physically or psychologically).

So, do you read in the bathroom, or are you still just grossed out by this idea?  :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes the bathroom is the only place I can get any reading done. New follower http://georgielee.blogspot.com