Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blaming Sweet Valley High

So I probably won't blog too much...my random thoughts tend to be posted on Twitter. I probably won't review books because this site is supposed to be about me and my books:) A little selfish, I know. (But as I write this, I am thinking maybe I'll post my reading list...)
 
I am a huge reader. When I was young, I didn't like to read much. I think it was because people kept trying to get me to read books they thought I should read, not books they thought I would like. Then, one day at summer camp, someone introduced me to Sweet Valley High. Yes, I admit it. That led to me going to the library on a regular basis, which led to the discover of Harlequins, which led to other romances.
 
It was high school before a fellow classmate suggested I read Dragonriders of Pern. Suddenly I enjoyed fantasy and sci-fi. Then I just started reading everything. I read so much that I somehow got away with reading Bastard by John Jakes during class and no teacher commented on the title:)
 
I decided to major in English in college. Believe it or not, it was my senior year of college before I read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. (If it matters to you, I reread Jane Austen a lot, but haven't read any more Bronte...intellectually I get why Jane Eyre is significant and well crafted, but it just never spoke to me on that level that makes me want to read more.)
 
My first job out of college was for a legal and business publisher, which led to getting a paralegal certificate. I have been writing since high school, and only recently decided to self-publish.
 
It is strange how many of my major life choices can be blamed on Sweet Valley High.

No comments: